February 23, 2012

Settling in...

It is beginning to feel like home.  Having internet is a huge blessing-I did not realize what a window to the world and to friends and family it was!  The young guy who hooked us up was great.  In fact, all the people who have come through the house for one thing or another have been so courteous and knowledgable, which is something I had been praying for.  We had all the duct work cleaned yesterday, so it just feels much better somehow to know that you are not breathing in someone else's dirt.  The furnace guy comes tomorrow to show Neil how this fancy system works and to service it.  Doors and windows are ordered.  The attic insulation guy has been and given us a quote.  It is warmer, cleaner and smells better...so things are looking up.

And we had our first company over the weekend..Kordan and Lizzie.  They camped out on the living room floor for two nights and wrote in our guest book, "We enjoyed falling asleep by the fire each night".  They helped us gather and stack wood and it was just so nice to see them.




I have begun doing the master bedroom.  The room with boxes will eventually be our en-suite, and the other with the mirror will be our walk-in closet...you can actually see me in my paint clothes in that mirror!  There was all this woodwork in the room and we debated whether to paint it out or not, and have decided to paint.  I felt myself apologizing to the house and to the artist who did all the faux painting years ago, but I just think it will really brighten things up.  (We will leave the same wood in the living area to commemorate the artist).  I also left one small panel that had an inscription painted on it from 1835 with the house builder's name.




We have decided against the brown in the corner.  The room is huge...used to be the parlour.  It will be spectacular when complete!

We are learning to be patient as we wait for the renovations and hook-ups etc. and are being very thankful for our many blessings along the way.  I was a little overwhelmed last week, and when I attended my women's group I was teary and tired.  After letting me vent for a short time, they asked me to start telling them of all the things that I was thankful for, encouraging me to keep on listing them with a gentle, "What else...??"  My mood changed as the blessings were counted.  It is amazing what a heart of gratitude can accomplish within.


2 comments:

  1. OMG, I love your house....it is going to be SMASHING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilary! I have been following your blog...loving your work. One day, when I get a little more settled in, I want to buy a loom and learn to weave...I will have to pick your brains then, for recommendations on looms to buy.

      Delete