February 29, 2012

A gift dull...

One of the blogs that I follow challenges me to cultivate a heart of gratitude, giving suggestions as to gifts to be thankful for.  One of today's suggestions is "a gift dull".


It is a dull day outside the window of our new home (see...I am beginning to say "home", instead of house...a sure sign that I am feathering the nest).  It is overcast and "flat", drizzly, and the land is still in its winter's sleep.  Everything all shades of grey.  But I am very thankful and can see the beauty in it all, and can see the promise in it all.


Future chicken coup!!!  We are going to have a white-washing party some summer weekend (right, Lizzie???) The promise of a vegie garden!  Clothes drying on the line!  Leafed-out trees!  Green grass!  Flowers in barrels.


The promise of warm fires.
We also own the property going up the escarpment to a beautiful clearing overlooking the lake and over to the Toronto skyline, and if our application to the Niagara Escarpment Commission is successful, that will be the future site of our rental cottage.
The garden here by the side covered porch really needs some TLC and to be coaxed back to beauty, but I already see it in bloom and visualize family and friends sharing a meal out here and enjoying it.


 Morning coffee spot!!


 Homes for returning birds!!

It is a grey dull day...but the promise of newness and life waking up and projects and sharing it all with people we love are definitely all gifts worth thanks.

For lent we have given up negative words (hubby's idea).  I was apprehensive about the whole exercise because I do not think that I have ever gone a day without uttering some kind of negative word.  But the flip side is making sure to speak life and affirmation, and that just ties in so wonderfully with the practice of thankfulness.  My cup overflows!!


No comments:

Post a Comment